Send Cohorts to Segment
Send Amplitude behavioral cohorts to Segment to use with your ad networks, marketing automation tools, and personalization engines so you can better tailor campaigns and product experiences.
Other Amplitude + Segment integrations
This integration sends Amplitude cohorts to Segment. Amplitude offers other integrations with Segment:
- To configure this integration, you need a level of access that allows you to configure sources in Segment and integrations in Amplitude. For Amplitude users, this means you need Admin or Manager privileges.
- This integration sends
user_idvalues from behavioral cohorts to Segment, along with an attribute that flags the cohort each user belongs to.
- Anonymous users aren't supported.
- You can sync behavioral cohorts to your Segment-connected raw data warehouses and downstream destinations that accept Segment identify events. Amplitude sets cohorts as unique user traits in Segment with True/False values to reflect whether the given user belongs to the cohort that has been synced.
- Add Amplitude as a source on your Segment account. Follow the directions in Segment's documentation.
- Copy the Amplitude source's
writeKeyfrom Segment. You need this key for the setup in Amplitude.
- In Amplitude Data, click Catalog and select the Destinations tab.
- In the Cohort section, click Segment.
- Click Add New Key and paste the
writeKey(the key you copied in step 2).
- Enter a name for the Segment
writeKeyyou pasted. (You can use the same name you used for the Amplitude source in Segment). When you add multiple Segment destinations to receive cohorts, the name helps you identify which destination you're sending to.
- Save when finished.
Send a cohort¶
Amplitude sends cohort data to Segment by triggering an identify call for each user in the syncing cohort. This appears as
<cohort_name> (<cohort_id>) with
False as the value, depending on whether the given user satisfies the cohort's membership criteria at that time.
- In Amplitude, open the cohort you want to export. Click Sync, and choose Segment.
- Choose the API target. This is the name you gave the integration in Amplitude.
- Select the sync cadence. If you're not sure which selection is best, try setting up automated, recurring syncs for any strategically essential cohorts, whereas one-time syncs are more appropriate for project work.
- Save your work.