Google Ads Event Streaming
This feature is in Closed beta
This feature is in Closed Beta and is in active development. Contact your Amplitude Client Success Manager for support with this integration.
Amplitude Data's Google Ads integration enables you to stream your Amplitude event data straight to Google Ads with just a few clicks.
- You must enable this integration in each Amplitude project you want to use it in.
- Amplitude sends custom events using Amplitude
event_typeas event name.
- This integration uses Google's Upload Click Conversions API).
- This integration requires a Google Click ID (
initial_gclidto enable Amplitude to create the click conversion and pass that event to Google Ads. Google Ads relies on the
gclidparameter to track user interactions with ads and attribute conversions back to specific ad clicks. When a user clicks an ad served through Google Ads, Google Ads generates a unique
gclidvalue and appends it to the URL. This parameter identifies the click, and links it to subsequent conversions.
To set up event streaming to Google Ads, you need the following:
- A Google Ads Customer ID
- A Google Ads Conversion Action ID
- A Google Cloud Service Account
- In Amplitude Data, click Catalog and select the Destinations tab.
- In the Event Streaming section, click Google Ads.
- Enter a sync name, then click Create Sync.
After you create the destination, you must configure the settings.
- On the Settings tab, click Edit.
- Enter your Google Ads Customer ID. A Google Ads Customer ID is a unique identifier assigned to each advertiser or business that uses Google Ads. This ID helps Google track and manage accounts, campaigns, and billing information for advertisers.
- Enter your Google Ads Conversion Action ID. This is a unique identifier associated with a specific conversion action in Google Ads, and represents a desired action that you want your visitors or users to take. For example, make a purchase, submit a contact form, or sign up for a newsletter.
- Enter your Base64 encoded Google Cloud Service Account. A Google Cloud Service Account, also known as a Service Account, is a special type of Google account used for server-to-server interactions and authentication within Google Cloud Platform (GCP) services. It's can grant permissions and access to resources like Google Cloud Storage, Google Cloud Compute Engine, or other GCP services. Service Accounts have associated credentials (private keys or OAuth tokens) for authentication when you interact with GCP services programmatically.
- Configure Send Events to send events ingested by Amplitude to Google Ads.
- To send events, toggle Send Events to Enabled.
- Expand the Select and filter events panel, and select which events to send. Amplitude recommends that you send only the events you need in Google Ads, rather than selecting All Events.
- Save when finished.
The final step is enabling the destination. You must enable the destination to start streaming events.
- Navigate back to the Settings tab and click Edit.
- Toggle Status from Disabled to Enabled.
- Save when finished.
Stuck at the authentication step¶
If you see
ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT in your browser's console, disable your ad blocker, clear your browser's cache and cookies, and try to add the connection again.
"Error: Invalid Customer ID"¶
Google Ads requires a Customer ID to configure as an integration with Amplitude. For more information, see Find your Google Ads customer ID in Google's documentation. Keep in mind, Manager Account Customer ID is different from the Customer ID.
Amplitude's Google Ads Event Streaming integration requires that your Google Ads Manager account has administrator privileges. This level of permission allows Amplitude to add and remove users from specific user lists in Google Ads. For Google Ads, Amplitude adds and removes users from a specific user list. As a result, Amplitude needs appropriate permissions to create and delete Google Ads account data. For more information, see About access levels in your Google Ads Account in Google's documentation.
- Enhanced Conversion Tracking: By linking Amplitude events to Google Ads, you can track conversions more effectively. This is particularly useful for understanding how users who click on your Google Ads interact with your product or service. For instance, if a user clicks an ad and then completes a significant action (like signing up or making a purchase) tracked in Amplitude, this integration allows you to attribute that action back to the specific ad click.
- Data-Driven Advertising Decisions: The integration helps in making more informed decisions about your advertising strategies. By analyzing which ads lead to meaningful user actions, you can optimize ad spend, focusing on the most effective campaigns and channels.